Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Excerpt

Susie recently lent me Jean Rhy's autobiography and here is an excerpt from her diary:

Do you believe in God?
I do not know.
In human love?
Yes.
Still?
Yes.
In humanity?
No.
How can you believe in human love and not in humanity?
Because I believe that sometimes human beings can be more than themselves.
What you really mean is that human beings can be taken over, possessed by something outside, something greater, and that love is one of these manifestations. Then, my dear, you must believe in god, or the gods, in the devil, in the whole bag of tricks.
No, that is not what I mean.
Than what?
I cannot say it. I have not the words.
Say.
I cannot.
You must.
It is in myself.
What is?
All. Good, evil, love, hate, life, death, beauty, ugliness.
And in everyone?
I do not know 'everyone'. I only know myself.
And others?
I do not know them. I see them as trees walking.

3 comments:

  1. how are you finding it then?
    also is the cd alright?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also that was me, susie. signed into my uni assignment gmail oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it very lovely, I only wish she could have finished it! The CD is very Susie :)

    ReplyDelete