Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

stayafter

I imagine in my mind the news reports about the end of the world

the media's game
"where were you at the end of the world? send your stories or videos to endoftheworld@sevennews.com.au or tweet @endoftheworld. become a fan of end of the world on facebook to keep up with the latest news and events. seven news, with you til the end"

vox pops on tv - hungry beast style -
"where were you at the end of the world?"

"I was fucking that guy I play eye-sex with at the train station" (wanted to go out with a bang)
"I was finally telling my father how I feel"
"I was on the phone to mum for the first time in five years"
"I really quit smoking"
"I was doing a very satisfying poo"
"I was having a bath"
"I ran out into the street and started singing at the top of my lungs and everyone joined in because we knew we were going to die" (and if that was the case we wanted to go out in song)
"I cried because I hadn't read all the books that I wanted to read in my lifetime"
"I started throwing things around and tearing off all my clothing because I was so scared"
"I was hugging the closest person to me as tight as I could"
"I shot myself before the end"
"I went back to my parent's house to be near something comfortable"
"I put on my favourite clothes and had a beer in the backyard"
"I went to church and prayed to Jesus Christ to save me"
"My other miscellaneous faith allowed me to feel safe"
"I felt really completely insignificant for the first time in my whole life and I was so scared and I couldn't do anything about it"
"I told my wife I loved her and we held each other in bed for the last time"

and we're meant to feel sad or shocked or amused or whatever
but then we switch channels because it's just another report and maybe we can be amused by some shit Charlie Sheen sitcom for a little while before something good is on.

I guess in some ways this is a list of things I imagine we don't do in our every day life. Because really any day could be the end of the world? I'm waiting for the day I don't wake up. I'm a bit morbid maybe but it makes things a lot more interesting. Bathroom tiles, people, they fascinate me.

2 comments:

  1. Shu Shu, dedicated as ever to my happiness, did a post for us:

    http://polkerface.blogspot.com/2010/03/where-were-you-at-end-of-world.html

    ReplyDelete