Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

ideals

I always find that when one has an important an imminent task that needs to be dealt with, it's better to attend to something entirely different. Right now, I am meant to be writing a cover letter and completing my CV for an internship I'm desperate for. It's due tomorrow.

Instead of condensing my awesomness to one page, I ask you, Stacey Teague (and the wider internet, if you want) what your ideal job would be.

This may seem fairly prosaic, even a bit "high school" but frankly, I am at this stage in my life where people keep on asking me what I'm going to do after uni and I don't know. I barely remember why I chose to do the course I want. Dream jobs were easier to dream about when they actually seemed.. to exist.

Ever since I saw that movie Almost Famous (and speaking of high school) I wanted to be a journalist for Rolling Stone. Perfect job, cause it combined my 'love' for music with my love for writing. In fact I think I wanted to be the editor. Of course it would be nothing like that movie and nothing like I would picture it in my mind. (I've since grown less enamoured with print media - can barely review to save myself - or at least print journalism.)

Then I wanted to be Myf Warhurst.


I realise this is not strictly a career. I wanted to be on Spicks and Specks somehow - to put all my supposed musical knowledge to good use - and I wanted to be on triple j. I hated Rosie Beaton, by the way, still do, and can't believe she's still on triple j as opposed to darling Myf. My theory is that Myf just wanted to move back to Melbourne. I guess it was a good idea when Rove was still going.. Anyway, I liked that she played piano and that she was from a "random" country town in Victoria. I thought I could definitely be her, quite well. I didn't bother applying though. [oh yes ha ha]

It's hard to have a dream job when you actually want money. Or rather, when you NEED money. I don't really know what my dream job would be right now. I used to think I wanted to be a radio broadcaster (for triple j of course) but since living in Melbourne I confess to being intimidated out of all the confidence I had. Slowly regaining it though. But the problem is, all they want on radio is comedians. Or future comedians. Popular Australians are comedians. That's why Kevin Rudd was on Good News Week tonight, I reckon. He knows where the numbers are.

I'll give my answer a bit later in the week, when I've had a think. And after I've written my cover letter.

2 comments:

  1. It's rather unfortunate that my dream job would be comedian considering how dreadfully unfunny I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in high school i wanted to be an actor. I was thrilled by acting (cough cough). Then someone filmed me acting and i realised i couldn't act so i wanted to become a film director slash screen writer.

    during my more mature years in high school, that dream was a bit limp so i opted for teaching. I thought i wanted to be a teacher because it was practical and once i managed to earn enough money, i could fund all sorts of projects.

    then one day i found out that i was offered a spot in RMIT's media course. I had forgotten that i left it as my first preference so i went with it and started the course.

    Throughout the course i have wanted to do a fuckload of shit, really trying to figure out what i actually wanted to do. It became a battle of what i could do and what i wanted to do and I felt really mixed up by it all.

    Right now, i am set on doco making and cinematography.

    But my ultimate, ultimate dream job would be to make jewellery.

    ReplyDelete