Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jens Lekman

It all started with a queasy stomach and a warm Summer's night. Me and Xinia bought some drinks at the bar, I talked to the people I recognised and we scoured the merch table, Jens didn't have any t-shirts but he had a whole bunch of golden keys on necklaces. Then we watched the opening band, The Gladeyes, who were a couple of crooning, well-mannered girls. Jens then entered the stage to set up various things. I noticed that he was wearing cobalt socks, I told Xinia and we collectively squeeed. He looked very tidy and handsome, his grey trousers folded up below his ankles and his shirt folded below his elbows. I quickly got annoyed at the hipster couple in front of me who kept groping each other. No one needs that. When he came on again, everyone clapped and cheered. He was accompanied by a woman who played the bongos, quite sexily if I may add, and had a tambourine strapped to her foot. He started off by talking about first kisses which of course led into And I Remember Every Kiss. Some songs it was just him and his guitar, some with the samples on his laptop, others with stomps and whistles and hand claps. I always feel quite embarrased to dance, but Jens made it impossible for me not to. Song by song, I slowly built up my confidence until I just didn't care anymore. And luckily, by this point, a guy had pushed in beside me, so I no longer had to deal with the groping idiots, and I had a better view! My favourites were Black Cab, A Sweet Summers Night on Hammer Hill and Maple Leaves. His two new songs were a bit average. He kept getting us to sing, "I keep running with a heart on fire" and he would harmonize over top of us. At times, Jens and his companion would break out into sychronised dance routines, which were so wonderful. Jens passed out tambourines into the crowd, and got us to play this feather game where you couldn't let it touch the ground by blowing on it. It was just so FUN, the way he interacted with the crowd and really put on a show. You know how sometimes you see a band and they just play their songs and go? That's fine and everything, but it's so nice to have a change. Jens played two encores, and honestly, I wish he played seven. I never wanted it to end. All in all, he played for an hour and fifteen minutes and it went by so fast. I was in awe and completely happy. The last song he played was Pocketful of Money, it was a perfect end to a perfect night. We walked home, sweaty and aching, excitedly talking about the gig with loud voices and exaggerated hand movements.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful description of the jen's lekman gig. I picture it so clearly.

    ReplyDelete