Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

American Idol

So I've been thinking about idols a lot, and I'll write a list in my head, erase it, and then start all over again. Because the more I think about it, the less I even know what an idol is. But here goes:

Stephen Fry - Because every time I watch any of the shows he has been in I immediately enter a state of swoon. He does so much good, and is so much to so many people.

Richard Dawkins - He is the face of atheism and he really is making such a difference. When he toured New Zealand he was almost like some kind of rock star. I admire his intellect and fervour.

John Darnielle - We have been discussing him here recently but he needs a mention. He is not only my idol because of the effect his music has on me but because of what he has made of himself and his life. It can't be easy to be physically abused as a child, and not many people can get out of that a healthy, creative human being. But he managed to take all of that hurt and make it in to something beautiful.

As for my real life, I admire my sister not because she is changing the world, but because she is kind and patient, and has always been there for me.

As for my imaginary idol, I really like Oskar from Extremely Loud and Close. I just thought he was so brave, to drag around his heavy boots day after day. I wish I could be so brave.

I also admire Celine from Before Sunset because she is smart, thoughtful, and because she seems so free.

No comments:

Post a Comment