Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

five idols and another

Stephen Fry, for he is hilarious, intelligent, handsome, literate, geeky, wonderful.


Rebiya Kadeer, because I watched a documentary about her and I am so proud of her.

Jean Rhys, because she wrote "oh I am only twenty and I shall have to go on living and living" and that's exactly how I feel now.


My mum, your mum, most mums.

Meryl Streep, cause I think she makes some fine movie choices.


--

M'colleague, this topic was far too hard for me to feel like I was doing it justice. I wanted to think of idols who weren't celebrities or ones that weren't too cliched and found myself at a loss. Runners up included many of my teachers and friends. Although frankly I don't have any proper idols; in keeping with my general diplomatic tendencies I like a lot of people in equal amounts.

I would like to subvert this topic and now ask you who your imaginary idol would be, in the fictive sense.

Mine is Maude from the film Harold and Maude. Maude is 79 when she meets Harold, a 19 year old boy who constantly fakes suicide to get some attention from his old fashioned and awful mother. His mum keeps setting him up on dates with awful girls his own age, but he sees Maude a few times at the funerals he often goes to and they strike up a friendship. Of course their age gap is a bit frightening, but I assure you I was in tears towards the end. Maude is so vivacious. She takes a yellow umbrella to funerals. She constantly steals cars, rationalising that people will have to let go of life so they should be freer with possessions. She and Harold rescue a tree from the street and plant it in a forest. They dance lots.

I don't want to give the film away, so I will stop. Maude is my idol. I don't necessarily want to be with a 19 year old boy when I'm 79, but honestly you never know.

2 comments:

  1. I've never actually seen Harold and Maude. Maybe I will get it out tonight.

    ReplyDelete