Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Clue

Today I am going to talk about musical beginnings. When I was younger I basically liked the music my older sister liked, which as a child was mainly top 40 and progressed into hip hop and r&b (we call these the dark years, but it's not a racial thing). After this stage was the short-lived crappy rock stage, for example, Linkin Park, Evanescence, and other such unsavoury bands. Then, perhaps I was about 15, I discovered The Strokes, and this opened a lot of doors for me, even if I don't particularly care for them now. An important discovery that led on from this was The Velvet Underground. After that, the floodgates were open. It was hard in high school, because my friends did not have a lot in common with me and used to call my taste in music 'weird'. I was really big into CDs, and used to save every penny to buy them. Music really gave me a lot of joy through high school, because those were tough times. I recently found some of the first mix CDs I made, and I listen to them and remember what it felt like to be a 16 year old. I used to be so open to music and still experimenting. And here I am now, a person of 21 years of age, and I really know what I like and what I don't like. I don't know which is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment