Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

This is a poem

I sit listening to the hum of the refrigerator,
and as I write the word refrigerator I realise
that I do not know how to spell refrigerator.
I am holding an open book of poetry in my open palms.
There is a poem by Janos Pilinszky on the page
and there is a particular line that makes me
stop everything,
“You lose and I lose.”
The hum of the refrigerator stops
and I hear my own thoughts as if they were being spoken to me.
Now I was changing tense,
and drawing lines through words.
This is not a poem.
This is not a poem.


Following along from the theme of last week's poem.

3 comments:

  1. I have made the executive decision to forgo writing a poem specifically for this week's task. I was going to write something along the lines of an article about what makes a poem except I'm getting slightly riled about poetry snobbery in the real world so I might have to email you about that dear one. I hope you can accept my participation in the questionaire in its place =)

    Thank you for your poem though. It is food for thought. Did you read the Like Starlings poems? They paired poets up and they had to communicate in verse. It's stunning (I updated some of the links to the left, there's a link there). Also if you have any links you want added there, go right ahead. I am trying to get our blog publicity up. And apparently tagging is a good way to do that (so I've been trying to tag more accurately where possible). Blah blah I just want to dominate the blogosophere. Ok this comment is so over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh also I was considering the merit of us writing bios for each other to update the 'hello' section and perhaps we might want to make a new header? I don't have any other pictures of both of us (that I like.. there's one of us holding books at the book club meeting but my hair is lame) - do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I've noticed you've been doing that, I'm not so good at marketing! I'll see if I can find more pictures of us together, and yeah I think a bio would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete