Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

hand-me-downs

I collect clothing
a cardigan, camel coloured –
seude easily ruined by rain –
embroidered.
A gift from a boyfriend,
(I think he had good taste)
mum thought he was the one.

I wore obsessively
a bracelet, battered bronze –
decorated by mysterious script –
embossed.
Sold by Tibetan monks
(I’ve seen many since)
she’d forgotten its origin.

I keep shamefully
a sweater, Scandinavian strength –
sensible woollen itchiness –
embarrassing.
Knitted for him and her
(I wear and love in secret)
mum still has its twin.

I longed for
beautiful blue boots –
leather with slight heel –
embittered.
Worn at their wedding
(I have larger feet)
she never wears them now.

I sometimes wear
a simple swatch watch –
black without design –
unemblematic.
My dad’s timepiece
(I know it doesn’t work)
cannot be repaired.

1 comment:

  1. I am slightly ashamed because I haven't got any Monday poetry :( I will try yo write tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete